Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Small lobes


I'm always felt like I'm this very average American girl. Average height. Average weight. Average sized nose. Average strength. Average athleticism. Average musical ability. Average, average.

Because of this average-ness there have been few times in my life that I've felt like a freak, most of which have occurred overseas. The last memorable, "I'm a freak" moment happened last year in a Korean restroom. I was washing my hands, looked up in the mirror and quickly realized I was a whole head taller than all the other women in that restroom. This simply reaffirmed why I could never wear heels in Korea.

Yesterday I got my earlobes pierced for the first time. This probably surprises you, right? Yes, I've had my nose pierced. Yes, I've had my tragus on my ear pierced, but no, no I have never had my regular earlobes pierced. I cannot explain why. I guess I just never found it interesting enough to get pierced. When my mom offered to pay for my sister and I to go together to pierce our ears as a Christmas gift this year I had no good reason to object.

Come to find out, I HAVE FREAKISHLY SMALL EARLOBES! Why has nobody told me this before?! The poor piercing lady was concerned because she had so little space to work with. Ah! How did this happen? My mom has average earlobes. My sister has average earlobes. My whole family has average earlobes! But I don't! It doesn't make sense.

Now I'm obsessed. Now I can't help but look at the size of people's earlobes as they pass. Does that make me more of a freak? Oh jeez...

:)

Coming soon: The stories and pictures from the epic journey across Siberia.

No comments: